A building should appear to grow easily from its site and be shaped to harmonize with its surroundings if nature is manifest there, and if not try to make it as quiet, substantial and organic as she would have been were the opportunity hers.”
-Frank Lloyd Wright
Welcome to The Retreat
The Retreat is an ecological haven designed to reflect the natural setting of the rolling Los Angeles landscape. At The Retreat, residents and guests have the best of both worlds—the dynamism and convenience of the city surrounded by the peaceful beauty of Benedict Canyon. This eco-friendly destination respects three fundamental principles: sustainability, conservation, and community integration.
To preserve and optimize views, The Retreat conforms to the natural contours of the canyon. Homes at The Retreat offer solace to those seeking privacy and a connection to nature within a community that provides full-service amenities. The private bungalows accommodate those looking for an intimate and secluded short-term stay in a bustling metropolis. The destination is nestled into the canyon and respects its surroundings with approximately 90% open space throughout the 33-acre natural oasis.
The Retreat will be constructed and operated sustainably. It will also improve local infrastructure and public safety, benefiting the community.
“I’m incredibly excited to share my plans for The Retreat at Benedict Canyon. For me, the most exciting aspect of the project is how environmentally friendly it is. It will preserve about 90% of the site as open space. The design seamlessly conforms to the canyon’s contour and adapts to the natural landscape. Consisting of private estates and guest rooms, this development will provide a much-needed natural and luxurious sanctuary in Los Angeles. It’s also an opportunity to generate millions of dollars annually for the City of Los Angeles, while creating new local jobs.” – Gary Safady
- Approximately 33 acre site.
- Approximately 90% of the site will remain open space.
- More than 1,000 trees shall be added to the existing plush landscape.
- The Retreat: A Boutique Ultra-Luxury Guest Experience
- Guest rooms thoughtfully dispersed throughout the site in a series of delicately integrated bungalows
- Eight single family homes
- Located on lots between one and five acres in size.
- Designed to conform to the canyon topography and integrate into the canyon.
- It is anticipated that the project will be a nearly balanced site.
- A Dog Park open to the entire community will be provided.
- Improved emergency access and fire prevention measures will make the entire community safer.
- The project is an ecologically sensitive unified design using natural elements.
- The project is designed by Saota, an internationally-recognized firm that has won numerous design and architectural awards. Saota is dedicated to energy-efficient vernacular architectural design and sustainable design principles, and the use of natural elements for construction.
- Harrison Design, an award-winning Los Angeles firm will be the local architect on the project, implementing the vision of building into the natural landscape, respecting the natural landscape and existing view sheds, and preserving the vast majority of the protected trees on-site.
- It is estimated that The Retreat at Benedict Canyon will generate over $90M in new revenue for the City and cannot be taken by the state, and have a total economic impact of over $1.2B.
- The Retreat will create new well-paying jobs and seek to employ those from the surrounding area first.
- The proposed project will incorporate energy-efficiency measures and sustainable features such as using recycled materials, and be designed to achieve LEED Certified status.
- The project is proposed by investor Gary Safady, who has owned the property since 2008.